The ABC to VLE project team has been thinking about how ABC Learning Design workshops can be run online, given the current health situation around the world putting a halt to our face to face workshops. While we consider this, we wanted to link to some examples of how people are already running these online. If you know of any other examples, please do let us know via the contact form or Twitter @ABC_LD.
Webinar: Running ABC LD Online, 27th May 2020
Webinar Recording: Running ABC Learning Design Online
- Clive Young and Nataša Perović (ABC LD team), Digital Education Advisory, UCL, London, UK, (ABC Online 27 May)
- Clare Gormley, Academic Developer, Teaching Enhancement Unit, DCU, Dublin, Ireland. Presentation (Online ABC: A contribution to the conversation)
- Tuija Marstio, Expert in Digital Pedagogy, Senior Lecturer Laurea University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki area, Finland (ABC_LD 27-5-2020)
- Allison Bell, Instructional Designer, Durham University Business School, Durham, UK (ABC webinar presentation)
Ideas for running an online version of ABC Learning Design:
- ABC and COVID-19: Learning Design in an Emergency – the lead partner of the ABC to VLE project discusses considerations for moving ABC LD online during the lockdown.
- ABC went online and this is how we did it – Laurea University of Applied Sciences (Finland).
- ABC Toolkit online – Current and Future thinking tool – The University of Auckland (New Zealand).
- MOOC Design Mapping Framework (MDMF) – based on ABC LD by University of Glasgow (UK).
- Trello for ABC LD – Durham University Business School are using Trello to collaborate with academic colleagues to develop online modules using the ABC LD method (UK).
- Learning Designer – like ABC LD workshops, this online class planning tool is also based on the six learning types from Diana Laurillard’s Conversational Framework and helps teachers design activities and share their learning designs with each other.
- ABC LD adapted to the ICAP Framework in order to help lecturers move their teaching online – University of Potsdam (Germany).
- ABC LD in Mural – Barbara Dolan used the Mural software to work remotely with a team of staff using a modified version of the ABC-LD process to plan their VLE course for a previously face to face workshop structured technical assistance program.
Online ABC LD (in Excel) by Jessica Gramp – use Excel to work through the ABC Learning Design method step by step (with the option of using Learning Designer for a visual representation of your storyboard).
- Towards an online ABC workshop: Using the ABC cards as reference for course design in online design sessions, with the help of Flinga boards. Sanna-Katja Parikka & Veera Kallunki, University of Helsinki Educational Technology Services.
- Designing and planning your online course with Trello, using ABC LD method. John Owen, Lecturer in Technology Enhanced Learning, University of Manchester.